Planning & Development


Planned Unit Developments

Planned Unit Developments

What are Planned Unit Developments (PUDs)?
Planned Unit Developments are a distinct zoning classification established to provide flexibility for unified developments by waiving certain zoning requirements in exchange for public benefit.

What is the purpose of having Planned Unit Developments?
Planned Unit Developments encourage the efficient use of land resources and promote innovation in planning and building for residential, mixed use and commercial projects.

Where are Planned Unit Developments allowed?
Commercial and mixed use PUDs are allowed in all commercial and service zoning districts, and residential PUDs are allowed in all multiple family dwelling districts (R-4, R-5, R-6 and R-7). PUDs are also required for all developments in certain overlay districts.

What is the application procedure?
The applicant must have control of the subject property in order to submit a PUD request. The application process for a designated Planned Unit Development project mostly involves other city approvals including site plan review, architectural review and possibly a subdivision plat. PUDs also require a request for rezoning application which must be submitted concurrently with the application for the Planned Unit Development. At a minimum, PUDs require a Planned Unit Development application, a $500.00 application fee, a Petition for Rezoning application and a $200.00 application fee.

Oftentimes, a PUD requires a traffic study, shadow study or conceptual review by the Plan Commission. After review of the application and plans, the Planning and Development Services staff will notify the applicant of any deficiencies and/or modifications necessary to perfect the application. Once submission is deemed complete, the request is published for public hearing and is sent to the Plan Commission.

When does the Plan Commission meet?
The Plan Commission generally meets on the first and third Monday of the month. In case of a city holiday, the meetings are moved to the following Wednesday. The application and supporting material must be submitted at least 14 days in advance of the next available Plan Commission meeting. If the project requires other city approvals, the timeline for submittal may be greater than 14 days.

How long will it take for the Plan Commission to make a decision?
The Plan Commission must render a recommendation on a PUD application within 60 days from the date the Commission first considers the application, unless a request for a waiver is submitted by the applicant. After a positive recommendation by the Plan Commission, the application, plans (revised if required) and a written report are forwarded to the Board of Aldermen for approval.

What happens after the application is submitted to the Board of Aldermen?
Upon a positive recommendation by the Plan Commission, the proposal is advertised at least 15 days prior to a public hearing by the Board of Aldermen. After consideration of public input, the Board may attach conditions and limitations as deemed necessary or appropriate to minimize adverse effects upon other property or the city as a whole. Upon approval by a majority vote of the Board of Aldermen, the ordinance along with the Development Plan must be recorded by the applicant in the Office of the County Recorder of Deeds. Building permits shall be issued in accordance with the approved Development Plan. A copy of the Development Plan must be retained in the records of the Clayton Department of Planning and Development Services. The Development Plan governs all future uses of the property. Any changes to the Development Plan requires Board of Aldermen approval.