The City of Clayton currently contracts with Allied Waste for residential trash, yard waste and recyclables collection. If any of these services are missed on your collection day, please contact Allied Waste directly at 636-947-5959 to report the missed pick up. You can also report missed pickups online using the Customer Service Center. This is important information for tracking the performance of their service. After a call to Allied Waste, the field personnel will pick up the waste as soon as possible. If there is some reason that your waste was not collected that day, they will let you know.
Trash, recyclables and yard waste should be kept in your side or back yard, must be consistently stored in the same place and be easily identifiable as refuse. All garbage should be placed in plastic trash bags to assure food waste is contained. Refuse should not weigh more than 50 pounds. If it's too heavy for you to lift, it's probably too heavy for the collectors and they will not take away your refuse. All refuse should be ready for pick up by 7:00 a.m. on the day of collection. Each resident will have a once-a-week pick up for each: trash, recyclables and yard waste.
If you need more than one collection per week, please call Allied Waste directly at 636-947-5959.
Allied Waste Holiday ScheduleWhen a holiday falls on a collection day, the pickup is the next day and collections on days following the holiday shift one day. Please do not hesitate to contact the Public Works Department with any questions you may have. Please call 290-8540 if you have a question or just plan on the collection the next day if your collection was missed.
TrashTrash must be placed in cans or plastic bags. Bags should not weigh more than the manufacturers rated capacity. Hand-lifted containers must be metal or plastic, rodent proof, have tight-fitting lids, have unbroken handles, be no larger than 33 gallons, and be no heavier than 50 pounds. Truck-lifted containers up to 90 gallons may be used by residences adjacent to an alley. Larger commercial size containers may be required for apartment buildings. Construction materials generated by contractors are not to be put in the regular trash. Multi-family building residents should contact their building management with questions about collection containers. It is the residents' responsibility to provide their own containers or consult with Allied Waste about renting a container.
Recycling is available to all residents and is collected once a week. All recyclables should be rinsed. All materials are to be placed in the recycling bin that is provided by the City of Clayton. If you need an extra bin, they are available at City Hall. In Clayton, we have single stream recycling, which mean you can throw all recycling in one bin. The following is a list of items that can be recycled:
Containers: Glass, Plastic & Cans:
- Glass bottles and jars (Clear, Brown, Green) such as soda, beer, wine and food jars. No window glass, dinnerware or ceramics.
- Plastic beverage containers such as milk, water and soda bottles.
- Plastic detergent, fabric softener, margarine tubs, frozen dessert cups,six pack rings, yogurt, ketchup, and narrow neck syrup bottles.
- Narrow neck plastic containers such as those for health and beauty products and household cleaners
- Aluminum and metal beverage cans, trays, foil and empty aerosol cans (remove labels, trays must be clean).
- Aseptic containers and gable top containers such as juice boxes and cartons.
- Newspaper, including inserts (excludes plastic sleeves)
- Cardboard that will not fit in your recycling container should be broken down, bundled and placed adjacent to the recycling container, no wax board.
- Kraft such as brown paper bags.
- Magazines catalogs and phone books.
- Chip board such as cereal, snack or gift boxes
- Paper such as computer, notebook and gift wrap paper (no metal rings or binders).
- Junk mail (excludes plastic cards, stick-on labels or unused stamps).
- Paper back books.
- Paint or spray paint cans.
- Mirrors, light bulbs, pesticide/herbicide containers
- Plastic wrappers
- Bleach or motor oil containers
- No household hazardous waste (wet paint, strong cleaning agents, tires, auto batteries, etc.) For more information about Household Hazardous Waste you can call the Waste Management Branch of St. Louis County
Recycling guide magnets are available at City hall or call to request one.
If it is raining the day of pick up, we ask you to take any paper material out of the recycling and save for the next pick up day. Multi-family buildings should contact their building management with any questions.
The Electronic Recycling Event is scheduled for Friday, March 22 and Saturday March 23, 2013. Please refer to wwww.claytonmo.gov/e-recycling to find more information.
Yard WasteYard waste includes grass clippings, leaves, vines, hedges, shrub and tree trimmings, smaller tree branches, household and yard plants, and holiday trees. Yard waste does not include dirt or rocks. There is no seasonal limit on yard waste and it will be collected year-round. State law prohibits putting yard waste materials in landfills.
- Yard waste signs must be placed on your front door by 7:00 am on your scheduled pick-up day and be visible from the street.
- Yard waste must be placed in biodegradable compost bags designed for yard waste collection (30 gallon paper bags), or placed loosely in regular clean trash cans or carts clearly labeled as yard waste (32 gallon or smaller), or in Allied Waste yard waste carts.
- Yard waste not placed in a container must be bundled. Bundles cannot be longer than four feet and no larger that two feet around and must be tied with twine or rope.
- Cans, bags or bundles cannot weigh more than 75 pounds.
- Yard waste cannot be mixed with trash or recycling.
- In accordance with State law, yard waste will not be taken if placed in any kind of plastic bag.
Christmas trees will be picked up at the curb during the month of January on the resident's regular yard waste collection day. Trees taller then 6 feet need to be cut in half.
If your yard waste is collected from the alley, you are not required to participate in the yard waste tag program. Your yard waste will be picked up automatically. If your yard waste is not collected from an alley you should display a yard waste tag in a visible area in the front of your home. Make sure vehicles or trees do not block the view from the street of your tag.
To rent a dumpster or trash containers call Allied Waste at 636-947-5959.
The City provides leaf vacuuming which takes place the first two FULL weeks of April and again in mid October through December 31. Check your City Views Newsletter for exact dates. During scheduled leaf vacuuming periods, you can rake loose leaves to the curb for pick up. DO NOT rake them to the alley. At times other than those mentioned above, leaves must be bagged for pick up. Free leaf mulch is available on a self-serve basis at the end of Shaw Park Drive. Residents may apply for mulch delivery by coming to the Public Works Department, 10 N Bemiston Ave., filling out a form and paying the delivery charge. The mulch will be delivered to your driveway on a Thursday morning. To check mulch availability please call the Public Works Department. If you have any questions, please call the Public Works Department at 314-290-8540.
If you have a rodent problem, please call St. Louis County Vector Control at 314-615-8935 or 314-727-3097, as well as the City to describe your problem.