Did You Know
Americans throw away 25% more waste during the Thanksgiving to New Year’s holiday season more than any other time of year. This extra garbage amounts to 1 million tons of waste.
Holiday Recycling Ideas
Remember all of the following can be put into the recycling bin!
Corrugated cardboard boxes
(flatten and cut into 3’ x 3’ pieces)
Newspapers with advertising inserts
Wrapping paper (non-metallic only)
Non-metallic greeting cards
Junk mail Magazines
Plastic, glass and metal containers
The City of Clayton currently contracts with Republic Services (fka Allied Waste) for residential trash, yard waste and recyclables collection. If any of these services are missed on your collection day, please contact Republic Services directly online using the Customer Service Center. This is important information for tracking the performance of the contractors service. If you do not have access to the internet, you can report missed pick ups via phone at 636-947-5959. After a call to Republic Services, their field personnel will respond as soon as possible. If there is some reason that your waste/recycling was not collected that day, Republic Services will let you know.
Trash, recyclables and yard waste shall be consistently stored in the same location in your side or back yard. Items for trash collection must be easily identifiable as trash. All trash shall be placed in plastic trash bags to assure food waste is contained and avoid attracting rodents. Refuse should not weigh more than 50 pounds. If it's too heavy for you to lift, it's probably too heavy for the collectors and they will not take away your refuse. All refuse should be ready for pick up by 7:00 a.m. on the day of collection. Each resident shall have a once-a-week pick up for each refuse: trash, recyclables and yard waste.
If you need more than one collection per week, please call Republic Services directly at 636-947-5959.
Refuse Collection Holiday Schedule
When a holiday falls on a collection day, the pickup is shifted to the next day. When a collection day follows a holiday, the collection day is shifted one day. If your collection is not picked up after the holiday as previously stated, please contact Republic Services directly online using the Customer Service Center. This is important information for tracking the performance of the contractors service. If you do not have access to the internet, you can report missed pick ups via phone at 636-947-5959. Click on the following link for Holiday Pick-Up Schedule.
Trash collection is available to all residential properties and is collected once a week. Trash must be placed in containers or plastic bags. Bags should not weigh more than the manufacturers rated capacity. Hand-lifted containers must be metal or plastic, rodent proof, have tight-fitting lids, have unbroken handles, be no larger than 33 gallons, and be no heavier than 50 pounds. Truck-lifted containers up to 90 gallons may be used by residence adjacent to an alley. Larger commercial size containers may be required for multi-family buildings. Construction materials generated by contractors are not to be put in the regular trash. Multi-family building residents should contact their building management with questions about trash containers. It is the residents' responsibility to provide their own trash containers or consult with Republic Services about renting a trash container.
Recycle collection is available to all residential properties and is collected once a week. All recyclables should be rinsed. All materials are to be placed in the recycling containers that are provided by the City of Clayton. If you need an extra container, they are available at City Hall, 10 N Bemiston Ave, in the Public Works Department. Please call the Public Works Department 314-290-8540 in advance to ensure a container is available. The City of Clayton offers single stream recycling, which means you can throw all recycling in one container. The following is a list of items that can be recycled.
Containers: Glass, Plastic & Cans:
- Glass bottles and jars (clear, brown, green) such as soda, beer, wine and food jars. No window glass, dinnerware or ceramics
- Plastic beverage containers such as milk, water and soda bottles
- Plastic detergent, fabric softener, margarine tubs, frozen dessert cups,six pack rings, yogurt, ketchup, and narrow neck syrup bottles
- Narrow neck plastic containers such as those for health and beauty products and household cleaners
- Aluminum and metal beverage cans, trays, foil and empty aerosol cans (remove labels, trays must be clean)
- Aseptic containers and gable top containers such as juice boxes and cartons
- Newspaper, including inserts (excludes plastic sleeves)
- Cardboard that will not fit in your recycling container should be broken down, bundled and placed adjacent to the recycling container, no wax board
- Kraft such as brown paper bags
- Magazines, catalogs, and phone books
- Chip board such as cereal, snack, or gift boxes
- Paper such as computer, notebook, and gift wrap paper (no metal rings or binders)
- Junk mail (excludes plastic cards, stick-on labels or unused stamps)
- Paper back books
- Paint or spray paint cans
- Mirrors, light bulbs, pesticide/herbicide containers
- Plastic wrappers
- Bleach or motor oil containers
- No household hazardous waste (wet paint, strong cleaning agents, tires, auto batteries, etc.) For more information about Household Hazardous Waste you can click on the link for the St Louis County Waste and Recycling web page
Recycling guide magnets are available at City hall or call to request one.
If it is raining the day of pick up, we ask you to take any paper material out of the recycling and save for the next pick up day. Multi-family buildings should contact their building management with any questions.
The City of Clayton offers a spring Electronic Recycling Event. Please refer to www.claytonmo.gov/e-recycling to find more information.
Yard waste collection is available to all residential properties and is collected once a week. Yard waste includes grass clippings, leaves, vines, hedges, shrub and tree trimmings, smaller tree branches, household and yard plants, and holiday trees. Yard waste does not include dirt or rocks. There is no seasonal limit on yard waste and it is collected year-round. State law prohibits putting yard waste materials in landfills.
- Yard waste signs must be placed on your front door by 7:00 am on your scheduled pick-up day and be visible from the street.
- Yard waste must be placed in biodegradable compost bags designed for yard waste collection (30 gallon paper bags), or placed loosely in regular clean trash cans or carts clearly labeled as yard waste (32 gallon or smaller), or in Republic Services yard waste containers.
- Yard waste not placed in a container must be bundled. Bundles cannot be longer than four feet and no larger that two feet around and must be tied with twine or rope.
- Cans, bags, or bundles cannot weigh more than 75 pounds.
- Yard waste cannot be mixed with trash or recycling.
- In accordance with State law, yard waste will not be taken if placed in any kind of plastic bag.
Christmas trees will be picked up at the curb during the month of January on the resident's regular yard waste collection day. Trees taller then 6 feet need to be cut in half.
If your yard waste is collected from the alley, you are not required to participate in the yard waste tag program. Your yard waste will be picked up automatically. If your yard waste is not collected from an alley, you shall display a yard waste tag in a visible area in the front of your home. Make sure vehicles or trees do not block the view of your tag from the street.
To rent a dumpster or trash containers call Republic Services at 636-947-5959.
The City provides leaf vacuuming which takes place the first two FULL weeks of April and again from mid October through December 31. Please click the link to Curb Side Leaf Collection or check your City Views Newsletter for exact dates. During scheduled leaf vacuuming periods, you can rake loose leaves to the curb for pick up. DO NOT rake them to the alley. When Curb Side Leaf Collection is not available, leaves must be bagged for collection through the City's weekly Yard Waste collection.
Free leaf mulch is available on a self-serve basis at the end of Shaw Park Drive in Shaw Park. Residents may apply for mulch delivery by coming to the Public Works Department, 10 N Bemiston Avenue, filling out a form and paying the delivery charge. The mulch will be delivered to your driveway on a Thursday morning. To check mulch availability please call the Public Works Department at 314-290-8540.
If you have a rodent problem, please call St. Louis County Vector Control at 314-615-8935 or 314-727-3097, as well as the City to describe your problem.