Thank you for your interest in working for the City of Clayton. Current job openings are listed below. To apply, click on your position of interest below. You will be able to submit your application electronically by using the "Apply Now" link found in each posting. Per City of Clayton policy, applications will only be accepted for positions for which there is a current vacancy. Unsolicited applications will not be accepted. For questions about job opportunities or for assistance with the application process, call the Clayton Human Resources Department at 314-290-8448.
Police Officer or Police Officer in Academy
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$64,294 - $77,518
- Posted Date:11/11/2019 4:16 PM
- Deadline to Apply:12/09/2019
The City of Clayton is accepting applications for the Police Officer position and to establish an eligibility list for future opportunities. The purpose of this position is to provide initial necessary police services to the community through the use of uniformed patrol as well as occasionally provide specialized technical support in the areas of field investigation, training, and firearms.
The mission of the Clayton Police Department is to provide a safe and secure environment for the residents, business community, and visitors in the City of Clayton through the effective and efficient delivery of professional, positive, and innovative services. Long recognized as a leader among municipal police agencies in St. Louis County, the Clayton Police Department consistently endeavors to ensure the quality of its personnel and has historically fielded one of the best-educated, highly trained and most respected police forces in the metropolitan area. In keeping with its tradition as a leader, in the year 2000, the Department was among the first law enforcement agencies in the State of Missouri to successfully achieve accreditation through the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA).
Essential duties and responsibilities:
1. Patrols city, responds to service requests; enforces laws and ordinances including issuance of citations; makes arrests, testifies in court; prepares records and files.
2. Pursue offenders on foot and or in a vehicle; use judgment in amount and type of force used.
3. Performs First Aid, including CPR, introduction of Narcan, and use AED equipment, as needed.
4. On an assigned shift, operates a patrol vehicle to observe for violations of traffic laws, suspicious activities or persons and disturbances of law and order.
5. Provides police escorts, directs traffic; performs residential and commercial checks.
6. Fills out arrest records, fingerprints, photographs, and other similar materials; performs prisoner security functions; investigates traffic accidents, crimes reported; develop possible suspects to bring outstanding cases to closure.
7. Reports unsafe conditions existing in street or other public facilities.
8. Assists with criminal investigations, conducts stakeouts, assists with presenting evidence, interviewing victims and witnesses, and performs property and evidence duties.
9. Prepares detailed reports on activities and assignments.
10. Inspects equipment and notifies appropriate person(s) to rectify problems.
11. May be required to perform in-charge duties in the absence of a superior officer.
12. Participates in, and may conduct, a variety of in-service training programs.
13. May be assigned to crime prevention, community policing/bike patrol, field training, special operations, technical support or investigation operation.
14. May be required to work overtime and/or be on call and to be able to respond to emergencies within a reasonable time.
15. Serves in a variety of specialized tasks to include: Community Service Officer, armory/range, field investigator, field training officer, bicycle patrol and foot patrol, School Resource Officer and Drug Task Force Officer.
16. Performs other duties as assigned.
To view the full job description, click here.
Associate Degree preferred.
Must maintain a Class A Missouri Peace Officer License issued by P.O.S.T.
Applicants must possess a valid driver's license.
Must meet all physical and psychological requirements specified by the Department, including successful completion of the mandatory annual fitness test.
The selection process includes written and psychological tests along with an extensive background check and oral interviews.We offer a competitive salary range from $64,294 to $77,518 that allows Officers to reach the top of the scale within just 7 years. We will also consider applicants qualified for our Police Officer in Academy position for those in a Police Academy and working toward the P.O.S.T. Class A Missouri Peace Officer License with a salary of $58,055. For a summary of our comprehensive benefit offerings to Police Officers, please click here.
In order to apply, please click the link below. In addition to completion of the online full-time job application, please use the link below to complete our supplemental application. To submit the supplemental application, please send via email (email@example.com) or mail (Clayton City Hall, Attn: Human Resources, 10 N. Bemiston Ave., Clayton, MO 63105) with the required documentation.
For questions, please contact Cpl. Jennifer Schwartz 314-290-8424.
Clayton is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the City of Clayton not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, national origin or ancestry, religion or creed, gender, age, disability or other legally protected statuses. This policy extends to all stages of the employment process, including but not limited to: recruiting or advertising for employment; evaluating the skills, education and experience of applicants; establishing rates of pay and terms, conditions and privileges of employment (including training opportunities); and promoting, upgrading, demoting, transferring, laying off and terminating employees.