Thank you for your interest in working for the City of Clayton. Current job openings are listed below. To apply, click on your position of interest below. You will be able to submit your application electronically by using the "Apply Now" link found in each posting. Per City of Clayton policy, applications will only be accepted for positions for which there is a current vacancy. Unsolicited applications will not be accepted. For questions about job opportunities or for assistance with the application process, call the Clayton Human Resources Department at 314-290-8448.
Director of Public Works
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$111,083 - $124,412
- Posted Date:03/29/2019 4:00 PM
The City of Clayton is seeking an experienced and passionate leader to serve as Director of Public Works, replacing the incumbent who is retiring after 5 years. The City of Clayton is proud to provide world class service levels to a community which values the contributions of the professional team. Each department of the city including the Public Works department has distinguished itself in the region. The next Director of Public Works will continue the traditions of excellence and lead the department and city towards innovation and new approaches for the future. Click here to view the Position Brochure.
Duties consist of:
- Assumes full management responsibility for all Public Works Department services and activities including street maintenance and construction, building maintenance, engineering, central garage, forestry, snow and ice control, street light, refuse collection, parking operations, and maintenance programs.
- Directs the development and implementation of Public Works department goals, objectives, policies and priorities for each assigned service area.
- Establishes, within city policy, appropriate service and staffing levels; monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; allocates resources accordingly.
- Serves as a City resource for technical engineering expertise.
- Assists with the preparation of the City’s annual Five-Year Capital and Revolving Public Improvement Program budget.
- Oversees the development and administration of the Public Works Department budget; approves the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies for long term budgeting; monitors expenditures and implements budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary.
- For a complete job description, please click here.
Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or closely related field. Master’s degree preferred. Must have a minimum of ten (10) years of increasingly responsible experience in public works management, construction, or related field, and five (5) years supervisory experience.
Must be registered Professional Engineer in the State of Missouri.
Must have a valid driver’s license.
The City offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package. Please click here to view the City’s benefits summary. The starting salary range for this position is $111,083 - $124,412 annually (dependent upon qualifications) with the full salary range up to $138,853.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, with the first review beginning April 22, 2019. In order to apply, please click the link below. Electronic submissions are required. Telephone inquiries: Human Resources Department at (314) 290-8448.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Clayton is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the City of Clayton not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, national origin or ancestry, religion or creed, gender, age, disability or other legally protected statuses. This policy extends to all stages of the employment process, including but not limited to: recruiting or advertising for employment; evaluating the skills, education and experience of applicants; establishing rates of pay and terms, conditions and privileges of employment (including training opportunities); and promoting, upgrading, demoting, transferring, laying off and terminating employees.