As the Center nears its twentieth year of operation, mechanical systems including the aquatic center air quality control unit are in need of replacement. These large systems have reached their life expectancy and replacement will enable the Center to continue to handle its large volume of daily visitors. The project will also include enhancements of the member experience through improved and expanded amenities as well as energy conservation strategies. A project to create an additional 140 parking spaces and a new turf field for Clayton High School is concurrently under construction.
Architect RFQ: 7/3 - 7/27, 2018
CRSWC Presentation: Nov. 30, 2018
Project Bid: March 2019
Construction Start: May 2019
City Bonds: 5.3 million
School District Bonds: 5.3 million
Renovation Update Sept. 21
The expansion is underway at The Center of Clayton, and parts of the interior renovation are nearing completion. The following is a brief update about the areas currently under renovation.
- Competition Pool will reopen on Tuesday, October 1 – Tiling of the pool is complete and resurfacing of the pool and deck will begin soon. Center members will continue to have access to Shaw Park Aquatic Center through the end of September. Beginning October 1, all activities held in the competition pool will resume. See the indoor Lap Lane Availability chart for details.
- Leisure Pool will open in mid-to-late October – The new play feature has been installed and the majority of tile has been laid. Crews will resurface the pool, slide, and deck in the coming weeks. Program participants will be contacted with more details once the opening date is firm.
- Locker Rooms will open in late October – Tiling is nearly complete and resurfacing of the floor will begin soon. Locker installation will begin in mid-October and dictate the final opening date. Members and guests may continue to use the Team Locker Rooms at the end of the hall during this closure.
- Gyms 1 & 2 will open at the end of next week – Wall painting is nearly complete and will be followed by painting the track railing and hanging new wall pads. Once complete, all gyms will be available for regular operation.
- Fitness Center & Track to be determined – The track may need to partially close for railing painting early next week. Closures in the main fitness area have not yet been determined.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a list of common questions about the project and their answers. This section will be updated periodically throughout the project as specifics become available.
Center Renovation - Fitness
Center Renovation - General
Center Renovation - Membership