21st Century Policing Solutions, LLC (21CPS) have been asked by the City of Clayton to assist with developing and implementing a process to assess and build stronger relationships with the Clayton leadership, the Clayton Police Department, and the community they both serve. Over several months, 21CPS and Strategic Applications International (SAI) facilitated 80 structured interviews as well as attended numerous meetings with community groups, police command, and police staff, to comprehensively understand issues of potential bias and hurt that were brought to light between the police and the community and between members of the community and their neighbors. The findings of these conversations presented an opportunity to continue these important dialogues regarding race and equity in the Clayton community and how these relate to all services the city provides. 21CPS will help guide the city through these conversations by:
- Assisting in improving the relationship between the minority community – residents, students, and visitors – the broader community and City of Clayton Leaders and Police Department.
- Crafting recommendations that provide clear steps that each of the key stakeholders can take to ensure a safe and welcoming environment for all people, regardless of race, color, language, or age.
- Identify specific steps that will allow the Police Department and the City to continue to further apply the principles of procedural justice, and constitutional policing.
- Creating opportunities to educate and engage the public to understand the specifics of law enforcement practices, training, policies, procedures and supervision that contribute to constitutional policing.
- Identify what the community can do to establish an authentic dialogue of listening and learning to determine how we can all work together for a better community environment.