Powers and Duties
The City Manager is the chief executive and administrative officer of the City, and is responsible to the Board of Aldermen for the proper administration of the affairs of the City. To that end the City Manager has the power and is required to:
- Appoint and, when necessary for the good of the service, remove any officer or employee of the City, except as otherwise provided in the charter and except as the City Manager may authorize the head of a department or office to appoint and remove subordinates.
- Prepare and submit to the Board of Aldermen, the annual budget and appropriation bill and be responsible for the administration thereof.
- Prepare and submit to the Board of Aldermen, as of the end of the fiscal year, a complete report on the finances and administrative activities of the City for the preceding year.
- Keep the Board of Aldermen advised of the financial condition of the City, and make recommendations concerning its future needs.
- See that all laws and ordinances are enforced and that all contracts and franchises are faithfully performed.
- Prescribe the powers and duties of officers and employees of the City not otherwise prescribed by the charter or by ordinances. The City Manager may assign particular officers and employees to one or more departments, require an officer or employee to perform duties in two or more departments, and make such other administrative rules and regulations as the City Manager may deem necessary or proper for the efficient and economical conduct of the business of the City.
- Attend all meetings of the Board of Aldermen and, in so far as possible, of its committees.
- Perform such other duties as may be prescribed by the charter or required by the Board of Aldermen if not inconsistent with the charter.