In partnership with the community, our mission is to assist Clayton in achieving its vision for the future by providing knowledgeable, professional and responsive service. We will:
- Promote public health, safety and welfare
- Administer all codes and ordinances in a consistent manner
- Provide prompt, courteous service and accurate information to all of our customers
- Review projects efficiently and thoroughly
- Consider the effect of our actions on current and future generations
- Acknowledge the diversity of our customers and their needs (such as citizens, developers, business owners, city officials and other public agencies)
- Promote and maintain ethics and transparency in our activities and honest and open communication with our customers
The Department is divided into two interrelated divisions.
The Planning and Zoning Division is primarily responsible for providing professional planning and zoning related services in order to promote responsible growth and to ensure that the City remains a sustainable, well-designed and prosperous community within a business-friendly environment, specifically through:
- Guiding and facilitating development projects within the City of Clayton
- Reviewing and processing of development applications, platting of property and code amendments
- Interpreting and applying zoning regulations and future land use plans
The Building Division is primarily responsible for ensuring structures are built and maintained in conformance with building codes, approved plans and permits, and are safe for occupancy, specifically by:
- Receiving and reviewing building plans and permit applications
- Issuing building permits
- Answering building code related questions
- Scheduling and conducting building inspections
- Administering the Property Maintenance Code
- Providing Code Enforcement Services
The duties of each division overlap and often reflect different stages in an overall development process.
The staff of the Planning and Development Department also guide and support the work of the following Boards and Commissions:
- The Plan Commission and Architectural Review Board
- The Board of Adjustment
- The Board of Aldermen
- The Building Board of Appeals
Board of Aldermen to Consider Medical Marijuana Text Amendment
On Tuesday, June 11 at 7:00pm, the Board of Aldermen will consider a text amendment to establish regulations for medical marijuana facilities.
6/6/2019 9:00:00 AM
Board of Aldermen to Consider Entertainment Overlay District
On Tuesday, May 14th at 7PM, the Board of Aldermen will consider the addition of an Entertainment Overlay District.
5/9/2019 2:30:00 PM
Entertainment Overlay District Proposed
On Monday, April 1st at 5:30 PM, the Plan Commission/ARB will consider the addition of an Entertainment Overlay District.
3/29/2019 8:50:00 AM
The Architectural Review Board considers all exterior modifications to structures (including fences, signage, driveways, walkways, retaining walls, etc.) on public and private property If you are making any type of changes to the exterior of your house including driveway replacement, landscape removal, hardscape additions, window replacement, exterior finish change, etc. please contact the City's Planning Department BEFORE you select a contractor to determine if the changes you propose meet the Architectural Standards and other applicable codes and if the work you are doing requires a permit.
Upcoming Community Conferences:
AMENDED NOTICE OF COMMUNITY CONFERENCE
HBE Corporation will be hosting a second community conference, an informal public meeting, prior to its submittal of a PUD application to the City of Clayton to develop the North Half Block 11 Town of Clayton, Bordered by N. Central to the West, Maryland to the North, N. Bemiston to the East, and an existing alley to the South. The purpose of the meeting is to provide early and informal notification to the public, to generate discussion, and determine to what extent there are community concerns relative to this proposed project. The community conference scheduled for September 26, 2019 has been POSTPONED AND RESCHEDULED to October 2, 2019 to avoid a conflict with the Annual Old Town Clayton Neighborhood Meeting.
Date: October 2, 2019
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Location: Clayton Center
50 Gay Ave.
Clayton, MO 63105
Project Description: A proposed 19 story, 102-unit luxury condominium fronting North Bemiston Avenue to include a full service restaurant, parking garage, and retail space fronting on North Central Avenue.
We get a lot of Questions about Subdivision Indentures. Here is some information that may help you. Click here.