In partnership with the community, our mission is to assist Clayton in achieving its vision for the future by providing knowledgeable, professional and responsive service. We will:
- Promote public health, safety and welfare
- Administer all codes and ordinances in a consistent manner
- Provide prompt, courteous service and accurate information to all of our customers
- Review projects efficiently and thoroughly
- Consider the effect of our actions on current and future generations
- Acknowledge the diversity of our customers and their needs (such as citizens, developers, business owners, city officials and other public agencies)
- Promote and maintain ethics and transparency in our activities and honest and open communication with our customers
The Department is divided into two interrelated divisions.
The Planning and Zoning Division is primarily responsible for providing professional planning and zoning related services in order to promote responsible growth and to ensure that the City remains a sustainable, well-designed and prosperous community within a business-friendly environment, specifically through:
- Guiding and facilitating development projects within the City of Clayton
- Reviewing and processing of development applications, platting of property and code amendments
- Interpreting and applying zoning regulations and future land use plans
The Building Division is primarily responsible for ensuring structures are built and maintained in conformance with building codes, approved plans and permits, and are safe for occupancy, specifically by:
- Receiving and reviewing building plans and permit applications
- Issuing building permits
- Answering building code related questions
- Scheduling and conducting building inspections
- Administering the Property Maintenance Code
- Providing Code Enforcement Services
The duties of each division overlap and often reflect different stages in an overall development process.
The staff of the Planning and Development Department also guide and support the work of the following Boards and Commissions:
- The Plan Commission and Architectural Review Board
- The Board of Adjustment
- The Board of Aldermen
- The Building Board of Appeals
PACE Financing Available for Energy Efficient Home & Business Improvements
Through the Missouri Clean Energy Program or MO-ESP, property owners can now finance improvements like new efficient windows, insulation, heating and air conditioning systems, solar systems and insulation by placing a voluntary special assessment on their property.
Tour Clayton's Art, History and Parks
The Clayton Century Foundation is pleased to announce the launch of a new Public Art-History-Parks Walking Tour Mobile App!
Forsyth/Hanley Lane Restrictions
Timeline of lane restrictions and roadwork on Forsyth Boulevard and Hanley Road.
6/30/2017 4:54:00 PM
The Architectural Review Board considers all exterior modifications to structures (including fences, signage, driveways, walkways, retaining walls, etc.) on public and private property If you are making any type of changes to the exterior of your house including driveway replacement, landscape removal, hardscape additions, window replacement, exterior finish change, etc. please contact the City's Planning Department BEFORE you select a contractor to determine if the changes you propose meet the Architectural Standards and other applicable codes and if the work you are doing requires a permit.
We get a lot of Questions about Subdivision Indentures. Here is some information that may help you. Click here.