Service Changes Due to COVID-19: 

Changes, closures and cancellations have occurred to many of Clayton's facilities, meetings, events and services in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Click for updated information.

Building Construction Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Permit Requirements

The City follows the International Code Council, the nationally accepted standard for building, mechanical and plumbing codes. Permit applications are available on the City's Website.

Plan Review

Building Permits

Work requiring a permit

Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the City and obtain the required permit.

A permit is needed for work in connection with, but not limited to, the following:

  • Interior alterations or tenant finish work
  • Enlarging an existing structure
  • Building a new structure
  • Demolishing a structure
  • Installing pools and hot tubs

Work not requiring a permit:

  • Painting
  • Carpeting
  • Trim work
  • Cabinets (installation of, not involving re-location, change in layout or electrical work)
  • Flooring

 Modifications to the exterior of a building

Any changes made to the exterior that affect the appearance, such as a change in color or style, must be approved by the Architectural Review Board.

Obtaining a permit

To obtain a Building Permit, please submit 3 sets of sealed drawings, a completed permit application and the $35.00 application fee to Planning and Development Services. For more information, please call 314-290-8463.

Dumpster Permit

All dumpsters must be located on the property behind a construction fence. Dumpsters used on projects without a construction fence will require a Dumpster Permit. Permits are issued for a 120 day period. The permit fee is $85.00 per day and a prorated fee will apply to approved extensions at the rate of $20.00 per day. Any dumpster to be placed in the public right-of-way will require a separate permit from the Department of Public Works 314-290-8540.

Fence Permit

Before a fence is erected a permit must be obtained and the following submitted with the permit application:

  • Complete Building Permit Application
  • A survey, plot plan/site plan or plat map of the property indicating all property lines
  • Highlight on the plan, with a highlighter, where the fence is to be installed
  • Subdivision Trustee approval for all subdivisions with active Trustees
  • Condominium Association approval (if applicable)
  • Drawings indicating the height of the fence, the type of the fence (wood-cedar, wrought iron, etc.) and the style of the fence (board on board-shadowbox, solid wood, etc.)

Height restrictions for fences are as follows:

  • General Residential Privacy Fence - 6 feet
    (8 foot feces with the top 2 feet at least 50% open are permitted. For example, a 6 foot solid fence with an additional 2 foot lattice top)
  • Residential Property Abutting Commercial Property - 8 feet

All new fences installed must have the "nice side facing out".

Demolition Permit

The cost for a Demolition Permit is $125.00. This includes a $35.00 application fee and an $90.00 permit fee. Other than minor structure demolitions such as a small shed or interior demolition, the demolition of a structure also requires the submittal of a $1,000.00 refundable cash deposit . The International Building Code requires that if, at the time of demolition, there is not a pending Building Permit filed with the City for the construction of a new structure, then any excavation resulting from the demolition must be properly filled and brought up to the original finished  grade, and the site must be restored with sod. Demolition permit requirements.

Mechanical Permit

A Mechanical Permit is required to install new or replacement of mechanical equipment, including heating, cooling or ventilation equipment and electrical generators.

Plumbing Permit

A Plumbing Permit is required for all plumbing work other than ordinary repairs. A licensed Master Plumber (licensed through St. Louis County and the City of Clayton) is required to obtain the permit and perform the work.

Commercial Occupancy Permit

All businesses are required to obtain a commercial occupancy permit and inspections from both the Planning and Fire Departments prior to occupying any commercial space. Please submit your application at least one week prior to occupancy. It is the responsibility of the applicant to schedule an inspection. Contact the Building Department at 314-290-8452. Permit/inspection fee is  $120.00.  If occupancy takes place before inspections, the fee is $210.00.  The cost for a temporary occupancy permit is $240.00. Applications should be submitted to the Planning and Development Services Department at Clayton City Hall.

Residential Occupancy Permit

Residential Occupancy Permits are required for all rental residential properties.

Outdoor Dining/Seating and Valet Parking

Separate annual permits are required for outdoor dining/seating and valet parking. Contact the Planning Department at 314-290-8453 regarding outdoor dining/seating permit information. Contact the Police Department at 314-290-8402 regarding valet parking permit information.

Inspections will not be scheduled until your permit is secured and payment is received.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer