The City of Clayton is a high quality residential and business community featuring fine neighborhoods, an excellent school district and convenient services. The City has adopted the 2015 International Property Maintenance Code with amendments.
The City preserves Clayton neighborhoods by:
- Inspecting properties for exterior code violations
- Requiring corrections to enhance property values and quality living
The following process had been established when a code enforcement concern is submitted:
- An Inspector will inspect the reported location to verify the violation
- An Inspector will notify the appropriate party of the violation and provide a specific time frame to comply with City regulations
- The compliance time frame is determined by City policy
- The compliance time frame may be extended upon request
- Additional action such as abatement or a "notice to appear" in Municipal Court may be taken if compliance is not achieved within the designated time frame
- The Municipal Court judge will determine guilt or innocence and the appropriate penalty
Common Residential Code Violations
- Exterior maintenance
- Interior maintenance
- Tall grass and weeds
Other Residential Code Violations
- Rodent Harborage
Clayton does not administer a rodent control program; rodent control is the responsibility of the property owner. Section 308.1 of the City Building Codes and Building Regulations requires that all structures be kept free from rodent infestation. For control methods to be effective, all residents must do their part and work together to keep neighborhoods free of rats. If you have any questions, please call Clayton Building Inspections at 314-290-8455 or St. Louis County Vector Control at 314-727-3097 or visit St. Louis County Rodent Control Information. Click here for more information on how to control rats in your neighborhood. .
Submit a concern using the "Report a Code Violation" button at the top of this page or call 314-290-8452 for additional information.