The City of Clayton ’s Residential Sewer Lateral Repair Program will reimburse property owners for eligible expenses relating to the repair of a residential sewer lateral. Please contact Daneen Schlereth at 314-290-8540 with any questions.
A sanitary sewer lateral is defined as the sanitary sewer pipe which extends from five (5) feet outside of the building foundation wall or exterior wall to its connection with the sanitary sewer main in the street or sewer easement. It does not include a sewer line located under any part of any building or structure. A sanitary sewer lateral may be located in a front, side, or rear yard.
The owner of a single family home, townhouse, duplex, condominium, or a multi-family building containing not more than six (6) dwelling units, may recover one hundred percent (100%) of the eligible costs (up to $2,000), for repairing a defective residential sanitary sewer lateral serving the property of the owner, in compliance with the City's policy and procedures governing this program.
Below are link to the reimbursement application as well as the policy which contains property owner responsibilities, reimbursement eligible items, specific instructions, and the steps of the reimbursement process.
A complete application for participation in the program shall include:
- Certification completed by a Licensed Master Plumber/Drainlayer verifying the need for the sanitary sewer lateral repair, and the location of the repair.
- A DVD or usb flash drive showing the need for repair.
- A paid tax receipt; for proof that the property owner has paid into the program.
- A plumbing permit.
- A Right-of-Way Permit, if work will be completed on the City’s Right-of-Way.
The following item are required to be submitted following the work for final review
- Line item invoice marked paid in full
- Lien Waiver
All repairs shall be permitted through the City of Clayton and be in-compliance with Metropolitan St. Louis Sewer District regulations. Reimbursements shall be at the current rate at the time of application acceptance provided the applicant submits all required documents (including line item invoice marked paid in full and a lien waiver) within one year following their application. Applications what do not provide the required documentation within this allotted time will be voided. The City may periodically amend these guidelines except as state law may restrict them.
- Missouri Revised Statutes Chapter 249, Sewer Districts in Certain Counties, Section 249.422
- City of Clayton, Missouri, Ordinance No. 5646, Establishing a Fee for the Repair of Lateral Sewer Service Lines, Passed September 11, 2001.
Did you know?
St. Louis County also has a Residential Water Service Line Repair Program?