Updated 3/31/2020 at 1:45 pm
Clayton, like communities around the world, is closely monitoring the rapidly evolving COVID-19 pandemic and adapting our response to the situation as it unfolds. We continue to follow the guidance offered by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), St. Louis County Health Department, and other federal and state authorities.
We are working to ensure continuity of operations and public services in the event that further restrictions become necessary. Please see the sections below to see the steps Clayton is currently taking to help mitigate the spread of the disease.
Please support your local businesses during this difficult time. Many Clayton businesses are now offering curbside pick-up! For a full list of businesses, visit www.claytonmo.gov/curbside.
Free On-Street Parking
Until further notice, all on-street parking is free.
With the exception of the Police Department lobby, all City facilities closed to the public on Thursday, March 19th at 5:00 PM. Beginning Monday, March 23rd at 12:01 AM, the Police Department lobby will also close to the public. These closures will remain in effect until further notice.
The City will continue to conduct business and offer its core services while buildings are closed to the public. Phone lines will remain open at (314)727-8100.
We have taken these steps to practice appropriate social distancing and to further limit physical contact between individuals.
Planning & Building Services
Please see the Planning and Development Services page for information on how to submit and pick up permit related documents.
We are asking Clayton residents to work with us to minimize unnecessary public contact during this public health crisis. In an emergency, please call 911 as always. In a non-emergency situation that still requires a police officer, we are asking that you call our non-emergency number at (314)645-3000 so that we can determine if your situation can be addressed over the telephone.
Community Programs & Events
Effective immediately, the Clayton Police and Fire Departments will be suspending participation in community service and community education events and activities.
- Board of Aldermen Meeting scheduled for Tuesday, March 24th at 7 pm will continue; however, for the safety of all attendees, the meeting will be physically closed to the public and will be accessible via teleconferencing. Instructions to join via teleconferencing can be found here.
- Plan Commission/ARB Meeting scheduled for Monday, March 16th at 5:30 pm was postponed.
More information will be forthcoming. Be sure to check our website for the most up-to-date information.
Beginning Monday, March 16th all dockets, hearings, trials, and other proceedings before the Clayton Municipal Court has been postponed through Friday, April 17th. This step is being taken in the interest of public health related to the COVID-19 pandemic and in accordance with an Administrative Order issued by the 21st Judicial Circuit and similar actions by St. Louis County and our municipal neighbors.
Yard Waste Collection
Yard waste, which was scheduled to resume on March 30th, has been suspended until further notice.
Yard waste dumpsters will be available for resident use beginning March 27th in the parking lot on the south side of Shaw Park. See map and Instructions
Trash and Recycling Collection
Bulk item pickup will be suspended beginning March 30th until further notice.
Effectively immediately, trash and recycling material will be limited to cart/container only. Items sitting outside the trash and recycling carts/containers will not be picked up in an effort to limit the exposure of drivers.
We apologize for any inconvenience these changes may cause and appreciate your understanding as we take steps to keep everyone safe.
Spring leaf collection has been postponed until further notice.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your understanding as we take steps to keep everyone safe.
All Clayton Parks & Recreation facilities are closed until further notice including:
- Public restrooms and drinking fountains
- Shaw Park Tennis Center including the courts
- Historic Hanley House
- The Center of Clayton
- Monthly membership drafts have been suspended until the facility reopens.
- Annual and platinum memberships will receive an extension to reflect the total length of closure.
Green spaces and trails are still open! We know that parks provide a connection to nature as well as opportunity for physical activity which helps support mental health in turbulent times like these. We also believe that outdoor spaces are well suited for social distancing, but we all must still remain diligent in taking steps to make your visit as safe and enjoyable as possible. Here’s how you can help:
- Refrain from using parks or trails if you or someone in your household are exhibiting symptoms.
- Follow CDC’s guidance on personal hygiene prior to, during, and after the use of parks or trails.
- Pack water, disinfecting wipes and hand sanitizer. Restrooms and drinking fountains are closed.
- While on trails, warn other visitors of your presence as you pass as well as step aside and let others pass.
- Follow CDC guidance on the recommended size of social gatherings including picnicking, pick-up sports and other group hangouts.
- Maintain the CDC’s minimum recommended social distance of 6 feet from other individuals at all times. If this is not possible, please find an alternate location.
Programs & Events
All Parks & Recreation programs, events and leagues have been cancelled through at least April 22. Program participants will receive a credit for all cancelled classes.
Youth League Participants will be contacted by the league administrator once the situation unfolds.
Registration for Summer programs will be available online-only beginning April 13 on the Recreation Programs page.
Due to St. Louis County declaring a State of Emergency and subsequently limiting public events over 250 people, the City of Clayton is cancelling all public events through April 30th or until the State of Emergency is lifted. These events include:
- Firehouse Movie Night – Saturday, March 21st
- Cardinals Home Opener – Thursday, April 2nd
- Bunny Hop – Saturday, April 4th
- Sip Series Whiskey – Monday, April 20th
- Pitch, Hit, and Run – Sunday, April 26th
Due to the frequent changes in services and various projects causing most content to become outdated, there will not be an April City Views newsletter.
City Views is scheduled to resume in June.
Easy access to reliable information is essential in a public health emergency, so we are advising all Clayton residents to stay up-to-date on COVID-19 and the local response to it at www.stlcorona.com.